Who will I meet and what do they do?

Social Worker

Your Social Worker’s job is to make sure that whilst you are in care, you are safe and well.  They need to work with you, your parents and all the other adults in your life, such as your carers, teachers and doctors to make sure that your needs are being met in all areas, e.g. school, contact, health and if not, try to address what can be done to make things better.  A Social Worker also needs to find out about your wishes and feelings and will try to include you wherever possible. To do this, they will need to meet with you regularly

IRO (Independent Reviewing Officer)

An IRO holds a meeting (Looked after Child’s Statutory Review) every 5-6 months to review your Care Plan.  The people who are involved in your life come to the meeting, and talk about how things have been for you.

We talk about things that are going well and also any problems you may be experiencing and what can be done to help you.

They also make recommendations of things that have to be done before the next Review, e.g. have a meeting about contact, give you help with starting a new school.  The IRO will also check that the recommendations from the last review meeting have been carried out.

In between these meetings, the IRO needs to be kept up-to-date of any big changes in your life by the Social Worker and can be contacted by phone or email.

LAC Nurse, or School Nurse, or School Health Advisor

When you are in Care or Looked After, you need to have a Annual (yearly) Health Assessment to make sure you are fit and well and that all your needs around your health are being met.  The nurse will carry out this assessment, which is usually an appointment at school or your home.

You can also talk to them about any problems you may have or things you need.  You can talk to them in school or tell your foster carer or social worker that you need an appointment.

ICIF LAC nurse 

Fiona Reilly - Nurse

Foster carer or Residential Care Worker

These are the people who look after you day-to-day and who you live with, in your home. They will also come to attend meetings with you or on your behalf.

Family Placement Social Worker

A child has a social worker and foster carers also have a social worker.  Both workers visit foster carers regularly to talk to them about how things are going and help them with any problems or issues they may have.

Other people you may meet:

Staff from Virtual School

If you are having any problems in school or need some extra help, you might meet someone from the Virtual School who can help you.

IV (Independent Visitor)

This is someone who is not a social worker or from school, it is someone who is independent and can offer you support and be there for you. They are volunteers who are carefully vetted and trained to offer young people opportunities to go out for social events and have fun. 

Social Work Support Officers

These are the people who may be involved in helping arrange contact with your family. They may also assist by transporting you to these contacts.

Next: Next Step Leaving Care