Online safety is making sure you are protected online.
Everyone has some kind of online prescence, whether it be a facebook page or twitter account, an email account, gaming account, Instagram or onlilne shopping, all of these things leave us open to trolls or people who try to gain personal information through sites like these.
Social media accounts are a bg part of a lot of peoples lives, it's how we catch up with friends, post pictures, let the world know what's happening in our life! So how do we keep these things private or only share with people we know and trust? On social media sites there are ALWAYS settings pages where you can change you privacy settings accordingly - THIS IS SO IMPORTANT, as it means that any stranger can't access your information and photos. Also it's best not to put your date of birth or school public and never put your home address information either, you want to stay safe online so the less information you give the better you will be. Imagine walking up to a stranger on the street - what information would you give them? Now think about what you put on social media for anyone to see......
Staying safe online also covers cyber bullying - on most if not all sites now there should be a REPORT IT button, so if anyone says anything bad you don't have to suffer on your own.
Just remember once you have posted anything on a social media site it is then public and there is nothing stopping a "friend" sending it to people you don't know, so BE AWARE and don't post anything on there that you wouldn't want your mum or dad to see!
Have a look at the scams page too of how to protect yourself online.
- Always explore the privacy settings of your SNS to protect your privacy and to protect yourself from strangers.
- Get your friends and family to have a look at your SNS to check that you aren’t giving out too much personal information or posting inappropriate photos/films because they might see something you’ve missed.
- Keep your passwords to yourself - never share them with anyone.
- Respect yourself and others online.
- If you are unlucky enough to have a bad experience online report it to the service provider (there is normally a report it button somewhere on the site and tell an adult
- Cyberbullying is NEVER acceptable. If you or someone you know is targeted by bullies online 1) report the bully to the website/service operator 2) keep evidence of the bullying behaviour 3) to resist the temptation to reply to nasty messages 4) To tell an adult.