What is Youth Day?
Youth Day is an annual day of activities organised by young people, for young people across the city. It aims to show the important contribution made by 11 to 25 year olds in all aspects of life in Salford. We know our young people make a positive difference to our city - and we want to capture and celebrate this.
Where is Youth day?
Everywhere - all over Salford! Youth Day happens during the summer school holidays so that young people can take part across the city. Youth workers and young people are working on a programme of events to mark the day - and we want you to get involved!
Who else is involved in Youth Day?
Council staff from the youth service, children's services and communications, Salford CVS and the Children's Trust supporting Salford Youth Council members attend planning meetings.
We want all youth centres, detached teams, schools and any local groups that work with young people to get involved.
What is your role in Youth Day 2019?
Every year our Youth Day celebrations become bigger, and have more young people showing the positive impact they have on their communities. Because so many groups have applied to be involved we have changed why and how we distribute funding.
For the events across the city, we want young people to show how positive they are, we would like youth groups to do one of the following on Monday 12th August:
1. Joining in or organising a community clean up in their local area, posting before and after photos on social media using #Salfordyouthday & #POSH (POSH is an eco-project being run by Youth Councils across the North West) #pioneersofsustainablehope. We will provide support helping to identify clean ups, supplying equipment, safety advice and removing rubbish collected.
2. Arrange to have a stall in your local community (maybe at local shops, in a busy community centre or somewhere else where people meet) to promote what your youth group is about, and why they are so great. Posting images on social media using #Salfordyouthday
Once we know how many groups are going to be involved we will help identify different contacts and spaces to work on. We will split the funding available equally between all the youth groups involved. All groups will then be invited to attend our celebration event on the evening of Monday 12th August.
Get in touch to show your interest in doing an event for Salford Youth Day - closing date for interest is Friday 12th July.
You can follow any updates on social media, if you haven't, why not follow us on Facebook @wuu2insalford, Twitter @wuu2salford and Instagram @wuu2salford and you can search #salfordyouthday to see the posts and selfies from last year and any updates for this year.
If you want to find out more or speak to someone about holding an event for Youth Day contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bridgewater Youth Centre will be at The Spirit of Little Hulton Festival 12noon - 4.00pm, Peel Park - Saturday 3rd August
- Walkden Youth Project will be holding activities for young people in St Mary's Park, Walkden, Wednesday 7th and 14th August 2.00pm - 4.00pm
- Cadishead Youth Centre will be doing an area clean up in Cadishead Park, Friday 9th August
- Young people and residents are holding a fun day at Boothsbank Park, Boothstown, Friday 9th August 2.00pm - 4.00pm
- YouCan promotional fun day at Leigh and Lowton Sailign Club, Saturday 10th August 11.00am - 3.00pm
- Eccles Youth Centre promotional event at Eccles Gateway on Monday 12th August
- Girls Group at Salford Lads Club are holding a promotional event at Pendleton Gateway on Monday 12th August
- Beacon Youth Centre are doing an area clean up
- SAFA will be doing a promotional event at Swinton Gateway on Monday 12th August
- The Deans Youth Centre will be holding an afternoon tea for residents of The Fountains Residential Home
- The BAYSE Project will be doing an area clean up on Tuesday 13th August
- LGBT group will be creating promotional tshirts and a film to be showcased
- Fight For Change Council are creating a promotional film
- Youth Unity will be at The Big Local Hub promoting their service on Monday 12th August
- 2MM's Youth Club will be creating a promotional film
Salford Youth Council
Don't forget to take a look at #salfordyouthday on social media for images and posts about the day.